Just outside of Ogden, you’ll find the charming city of Roy UT. First established in 1863, Roy has grown into a family-centered community with beautiful homes and a close-knit community. The area is known for its growing economy and safe neighborhoods, as well as its low cost of living. If you’re considering moving to Roy, keep reading to get all the details on your prospective new home.
Who Lives in Roy?
The City of Roy is home to about 37,853 people, give or take a few people. The median age is just 30.5, mostly due to the high number of families here with young kids. Almost two-thirds of residents here are married; most are also White and speak English as a first language, although 15% of the population is Hispanic or Latino.
Like much of Utah, the community in Roy is largely religious, and 78% of the population is part of organized religion. More than 60% of residents here are part of the Mormon Church, and most other religious followers in the area are part of a Christian church. Very few people living in the area are Jewish, Muslim or Hindu, though there are a few Synagogues and Mosques in nearby Ogden, which has a higher concentration of these communities.
Roy Cost of Living
Wondering how much it costs to live in Roy? Unlike many cities, the cost of living here is actually lower than the American average overall, making it a top destination for families who want to enjoy Utah’s beautiful surroundings and the great community, without a huge price tag. Most Roy residents own their homes, and the median home value in the area is $157,400. For the 16% of locals who choose to rent, costs are similarly low; the median monthly rent here is usually under $1,000. Property taxes in Roy are reasonable, with most folks paying between $800-$1,500 per year.
Since Healthcare is a top industry in Roy, it’s not surprising that this is one cost of living that is higher than average. People living in Roy can expect to pay about 13% more than other parts of Utah and beyond, but they benefit from having an incredible health system just minutes from their homes. The main zip code in Roy is 80467, and the main area code is 801.
Schools in Roy
Students living in Roy will likely attend schools in the Weber School District. The main public high school in the city is Roy High School, which offers several advanced placement courses, and currently serves about 1,800 students. Weber School District also has many by-admissions-only programs. The Weber Innovation Center is just one of several Magnet Programs in the Weber School District; here students can choose specialized courses of study and work one-on-one with teachers for individualized success.
Where to Live in Roy
Finding a perfect house is one thing, but finding the perfect neighborhood? That can be a lot harder, especially if you’re new to the area. While Roy has numerous neighborhoods to choose from, here are a few of our favorites to help get your search started:
- Cozydale: Looking for classic suburban living in Roy? This popular neighborhood is characterized by older homes built between 1970-2000, giving the community a quaint atmosphere you’re sure to love.
- City Center: This Roy neighborhood is near the heart of the city, and homes are a bit more expensive, with a median home value of over $200,000. Most houses in the area are 3-4 bedrooms and were built after 1940.
- Crestwood Estates: This newer neighborhood in Roy offers beautiful, new construction homes, each with a large plot of land, along wide, safe streets. Homes in the development sell from $250,000 and up.
People living in Roy benefits from a higher median household income that the country as a whole; on average, workers living in the city make $66,333 per year. The top industries in Roy are Manufacturing, Retail Trade, and Public Administration followed closely by Education and Healthcare. Residents also have access to jobs in nearby areas, including the budding economy of nearby Ogden, whose main industries include Aerospace Manufacturing, Biopharmaceuticals and Information Technology.
What’s the Weather Like in Roy?
The simplest answer is: it varies. The average temperature in Roy usually stays between 28-91 degrees, though in the dead of winter, it’s been known to get even colder. Summers in Roy are mostly hot, with clear skies and plenty of sun! Roy gets less rain than the American average but also gets about 32 inches of snow each year. Locals here love the snow though, because Utah’s snow has made the state a world destination for skiers, and most people who live here love to hit the slopes!
Things to do in Roy
View this post on Instagram
Hill Aerospace Museum
One of the best things to do in Roy is to visit the Hill Aerospace Museum! This historic museum is located on the HIlls Air Force Base near Roy. In addition to military aircraft from every era, the Museum also hosts a STEM summer camp to encourage kids (8+ years old) to get interested in science and math.
- Hours: 9AM-4:30PM Monday-Saturday, Closed on Sunday
- Website: https://www.aerospaceutah.org/
- Phone: (801) 825-5817
- Address: 7961 Wardleigh Rd, Hill AFB, UT 84056
Waterfall Canyon Trail
When the sun shines in Roy, outdoors lovers are sure to be found on the Waterfall Canyon Trail. The trail is short but rugged, so it’s not recommended unless you have some hiking experience. At the end lies the waterfall that gives the trail its name, a stunning 200 ft. stream of water surrounding by lush greenery. There are three ways to get to the trails, which you can see at Utah.com.
Best Restaurants in Roy
Roy has plenty of amazing restaurants to choose from, but when you first move in, here are a few of our favorites to help you start getting to know the city:
The Beez Cafe is a family owned restaurant in the heart of Roy, serving up everything from hearty breakfasts to delicious dinners. Favorite menu items include the Beez Omelet, the Sunny Bee Pancakes, and the fresh made Apple Pie.
- Hours: 6AM-8PM Monday-Saturday, 6AM-2:30PM Sunday
- Website: http://www.beezcafe.com/
- Address: 5410 S 1900 W, Roy, UT 84067
- Phone: (801) 776-8882
For a classic drive-in experience, head over to the Burger Bar! This local institution has been serving up diner-style meals since 1956, and was even featured on Food Network’s “Diners, Drive-Ins, and Dives.”
- Hours: 10AM-10PM Monday-Thursday, 10AM-11PM Friday-Saturday, Closed on Sundays
- Website: http://www.burgerbarutah.com/
- Address: 5291 S 1900 W, Roy, UT 84067
- Phone: (801) 825-8961
View this post on Instagram
If you love breakfast, you’ll definitely want to stop by the Village Inn, where breakfast is served all day long. Village Inn is also known for its selection of 27 different pie flavors, so you’ll have to come back time and again to try them all!
- Hours: 5:30AM-12:AM Sunday-Friday, 5:30AM-2AM Saturday
- Website: https://www.villageinn.com/locations/roy-ut/
- Address: 1780 W 5600 S, Roy, UT 84067
- Phone: (801) 776-6764
Tips for Moving to Roy
We hope you’ve enjoyed this guide to living in Roy, and that it has helped you decide if this wonderful community is the right place for you and your family. Here are a few final tips to make your move even easier:
- Visit prospective neighborhoods before buying a home. It’s good to get an in-person “feel” for the community!
- If you don’t have a job lined up, look at companies in Petaluma in your industry. See which ones are hiring and learn about them to ensure you have plenty of options before you move.
- Hire a moving company. Relocating is a huge, stressful process, so don’t try to do it all on your own!
Need help with your move? Call (801) 683-2346 today to speak with a friendly customer service representative at Wasatch Moving Company, and let us be the first to say, “Welcome to Roy!”